Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Of technology on the Appalachian Trail.

Electronic Technology: Enhancement or Detriment to the Hiking Experience

So, I have been dialoging with another hiker on one of the hiker forums about whether technology enhances or detracts from the trail experience.  This has been an interesting debate and has been on of the more popular discussion posts on that site recently.

First, let me clarify, we are not debating things like GPS and GPS locators.  I think just about everyone can agree this type of technology is universally accepted as "good" technology on the trail. I think most people agree that a small radio receiver to keep up with the weather would be allowable.  However, from that point on, it appears there are many diverging opinions as to whether things like ebook readers, smart phones, tablets and mp3 players enhance the hiking experience.

So, as I read thru the posts and flame wars that were present, the purists point out that whether hiking for a day or hiking for months, one of the reasons we hike is to get away from the the modern world, this includes the overstimulation of the electronic trappings of our life. We hike to enjoy the simple joys of the woods.  We seek out the enjoyment of the life in the woods to experience the quiet cooing of a dove in the early morning, walking among the clouds on a mountain peak, trudging up difficult trails to a vista most people will never see.  The rewards are endless and the purist states the electronis deter from the "spiritual" experiences we seek in the wilds.

While I can understand the purists arguement, and I agree there are many times that I do not want or need to use my electronic "toys", The electronics I bring do enhance my hike.  For example, my Iphone.  There are many times hiking when the scenery is bland and predictable for miles.  My Iphone is loaded with music that can motivate me to continue to hike when I have many miles to go.  Now picture this, you have hiked hours to the top of a mountain, the hike was gruelling, difficult and long, you reach the summit to a million dollar view, throw your pack off, find a place to sit on the summit and take in the views.  Now, after the inital viewing, you reach into your pack, take out your Iphone/mp3 player and find a moving piece of music to match the beautiful views.  Nirvana for hours.  I have now enhanced my hike and lifted my spirits. 

My Iphone is also a valuable way to possibly contact emergency services should I get hurt or need to get off the trail for an emergency.  I do not count on getting a signal, and I do prepare and realize that when I hike, I am the only one responsible for my safety and getting myself of the trail in an emergency.  However my phone is there if I need to attempt contact....and if I do get a signal I will use it. With my ATT service that would be sketchy anyway.

During a longer hike such as a section hike or thru hike, text messaging is used by the hikers to stay in touch with each other as friend and buddies can be spread out over several days and miles on the trail.  This allows the group to let each other know where they are, what shelter or camping areas they are at, where they will be at in town and if they have rooms reserved and where there is cheap beer!  It is a great way to communicate with other thru hikers who do have to treat the hike as "work" and can make logistics much easier.

Ebooks are awesome! Stored on on my reader (as well as my Iphone which on my hike I will use as an e-reader) I can store the reference books for the trail, birding, wildlife and plant reference books, light reading for rainy nights under my tarp, as well as my spreadsheets and documents I have created to assist me on my hike.  The ebook weighs less than many paperback books and I can cary a huge library with me.

However, I have to agree with the purist, I do not want to be sitting on the summit of a mountain and hearing someone calling a friend and shouting "Guess where I am" or trying to enjoy the peaceful twighlight getting ready to go to bed to hear someone else's phone nearby start to ring and then listen to their banal conversation for the next thirty minutes.  If you are going to use technology, use it in a manner that does not interupt the experience of the hike for someone else.

So as the saying goes, hike your own hike just be considerate of others and do not ruin their experience.  As for me, I will be bringing technology that enhances my safety and enjoyment of my hike.  The added benefit is it will actually help me cut weight as well as my maps, books and spreadsheets will be on my Iphone!!!

So I would love to hear your thoughts on the technology argument good or bad, I am sure it will be food for thought.

Thru Hiker......still following the compass rose north in 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment