Thursday, August 30, 2012

Gotta Love the Relatively Unknown Local Trails.

Local Trail/Awesome Views
 
 
 

Endless Wall Trail
Ah, the pseudo secret local trails.  Where I live there are many beautiful trails to train on and believe me I love hiking them all.  Flashback to yesterday.... I believe I found my favorite!  The Endless Wall Trail at the gorge has to  be hands down my favorite local trail within an hour of my house.

 This is not a long trail, in fact to get any worthwhile training  out of it, you must do the out and back several times as the trail from trail head to trail head and return is a scant 5 miles.  The terain is easy with some minor up and downs but is mostly flat following the canyon rim.  The trail surface is mostly soft dirt with only a few short rocky sections. The National Parks Service rates this trail as easy to moderate but believe me, there is no moderate to this trail, It is easy. Warning, if you bring children or pets, keep a sharp watch on the them.  There are no railings around the cliffs so be careful around the edge!!
Because this trail so easy The Endless Wall Trail is not the best trail for mountainous trail conditioning, however it was a great break to rest my ankle that has been hurting lately and the views more than make up for the lack elevation.  You can rack up the miles easily with multiple out and backs and the views will keep you entertained.  So I am going to call the the trail for fast walking and cardio conditioning only but the views more than make up for the lack of elevation gain.  With that, I will let the pictures finish the rest of the story.  Enjoy.




The trail heading to the cliffs.  Notice the leaves are already starting to fall onto the trail because of all the rain this summer.


 
A cute hiker bridge over the now dry creekbed.
Canyon rim.
Another canyon rim pic.


Ladders down the cliff face.


The view looking east into the Gourge.  The New River can be seen almost 1000 ft below.

Till next time....keep looking north towards Katadhin.

No comments:

Post a Comment