Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Updates

Wow, How Time Flies:


Wow, how time flies.  Since I last posted almost 2.5 months ago so many things have occurred.  I got my first good hike in this year.  I hiked around Damascus, (of course), did about 40 miles and experienced everything from freezing cold temperatures, sunny warm days, rain, snow, sleet and mud.  You have to love what the mountains can throw at you in March.  I did realize I had really lost muscle tone and spent way to much time sitting behind a desk last winter.  HAHA.

I continue to plan my hike.  I know that 2014 must be the year I must commit to the hike.  I have a year of planning behind me already.  I have pared my gear down, experimented with what works best, worked on getting my pack weight down and fine tuned my equipment. 
I seek the solitude of the woods, camaraderie of like minded persons. Persons with wanderlust and a sense of freedom. Yes, I yearn to be a gypsy of the woods.

I have made my decision.  I have the assets to make the hike.  Well, if I sell my truck I will have the money to hike as well as a bit left over to begin my life again.  I realize I do not need much to be happy.  I know I can survive if I need to with very little money and be happy.  However, the rational side of me says that to hike 6 months at my age, when I have no savings and my future is questionable, I should ignore the feelings of wanderlust and concentrate on getting back on my feet financially and forgo this hike.  However, I know that is not the correct choice for me. I know this,however, I feel like once I commit totally to this endeavor, many people will try to get me to change my mind.  They will see this as foolhardy, a waste of time, a diversion.  Well, Fuck Them......

Ok, well that may have been a bit strong...haha......but the sentiment is honest.  Sometimes to grow you must close your eyes and just step off the cliff.  Take the risk, learn, grow, have fun.  This is what I am going to do.  There will be opportunity for me after I reach Katahdin.  In fact, a new person may emerge with focus and clarity found.  I am going on an adventure most people can only dream about. 

Ok so my ramblings are over for the time.  I guess I needed to vent a bit and now, with clarity, I bid everyone good night.

CW

No comments:

Post a Comment