Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Do You Need Maps On The Appalachian Trail?


I found this humorous tidbit on FaceBook today.  I thought it was funny and thought I would share it.


Do you NEED maps for thru-hiking the A.T.?

Survivalist: What idiot would go into the woods for a long time and NOT carry maps? Do you have a good knife? And what weapons do you plan on bringing to down larger prey if you can’t get to a store for 3 weeks?

Facebook complaint immediately to the author demanding changes with my iPhone as soon as I got back on the trail.
...

Tinkerer: Well of course I used maps every step of the way. I’m a little unnerved though. Yesterday my GPS watch readings and my maps were off over 68.38 feet in elevation gains / losses for the day. Look, I’ll show you in my log book.

Realist: You don’t need them. How lost can you get really? Maps are just dead weight to carry 2000+ miles, how smart is that? You do realize the trail is marked the whole way right?

Average Joe or Sarah: I took them, didn’t much use them though.


No comments:

Post a Comment